Friday, April 8, 2016

Bruce Springsteen Takes A Stand

Today, April 8th, 2016, Bruce Springsteen announced that he would cancel his April 10th show in Greensboro, NC, as a way to protest the recent HB2 law that was passed which attacks the transgender community and LGBT community as a whole.


As a current citizen of Greensboro, and someone who had a ticket to attend the show, it surprised me in many ways. Firstly, it obviously upset me. Bruce Springsteen is my favorite artist of all time, and this was my first chance to see him live. Second, would I get my money back? Don't worry, I get my 170 dollars back. And then finally, I was thrilled to see Bruce take a stand against this horrible injustice.

Bruce is a well known liberal. He supported Obama during his campaign and even though he has yet to endorse either Bernie or Hillary, I believe he will support the Democratic nominee whoever it is.

Even though this stand has the drawback of thousands of upset fans, it is an important statement. Paypal recently took out almost 3 million dollars from NC. This is simple proof, this law is harming North Carolina more than it is helping, even though it doesn't help at all.

Many people argue about the concept that there will be men in the women's restroom and they argue that these men could be predators, pedophiles, rapist, etc. The bathroom law affects transgenders, which is approximately 1.1% of the US population as a whole. Even though this is a touchy subject, let's be realistic, many people who have had full gender reassignment surgery often look like whichever gender they want to be. When I see a person who looks like a man, beard, facial hair, strong body, I presume it's a man unless they tell me they used to be a women, and I've seen this occur on social media.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that the law isn't based on logic, just prejudice and bigotry and luckily we're already having major companies and now one of the biggest legends of rock stand up to it.

Thank you Bruce, and thank you all the people who are currently standing up to this prejudice.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Teen, great article. Fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Teen, great article. Fight the good fight!

    ReplyDelete